1. Material used should be based on the N.D.C.A. syllabus, Fred Astaire and Arthur Murray social step list or any approved syllabi of member organizations of the N.D.C.A.
2. Following categories pertain to Pro-Am and Amateur American Free Styles only: Pre-Bronze 1 through 5 Intermediate Bronze 1 through 8 Bronze 1 through 10 Pre-Silver 1 through 5 Intermediate Silver 1 through 8 Silver 1 through 10 Intermediate Gold 1 through 8 Gold 1 through 10 Advanced Gold Bar and Gold Star Following categories pertain to Pro-Am and Amateur International Free Styles only: Pre-bronze thru Closed Gold - any approved syllabi of member organizations of the N.D.C.A. Open Gold and Gold Star 1 - there are no restrictions other than the use of lifts.
3. Pro/Am & Student/Student Age Divisions - you can only enter in ONE age division: J2 up to 8 A1 16-35 J3 9-11 A2 36-50 J4 12-13 B1 51-60 J5 14-15 B2 61-70 J6 16-18 C1 71-80 C2 81-over World Pro/Am Pre-teen 4 Dance 11 and under World Pro/Am Teen 4 Dance 12-15 *World Pro/Am Young Adult 4 Dance 16-18 Gentlemen Standard Championship A-16-35, B-36-50, C-51 and up World Pro/Am Scholarship A-16-35, B-36-50, C-51 and up *If you are ages 16-18 you can do Young adult or age A in the multi-dances, you can not do both.
4. World Pro/Am Championship/Scholarships Bronze, Silver or Open - You can only enter in one level and one age in each style. Also you must dance a minimum of 5(4 for smooth) single dances in the same style to qualify for these events. You can not dance a lower level in the scholarship then what you are dancing in the single dances. Open scholarship events are DanceSport Series Team Match qualifying events for 2012, open to all levels and are unisex. Reminder, anyone can enter these events whether you want to accumulate points or not for DanceSport Series. Exception is; you can enter the ?C? Scholarship and Senior 3 dance and Senior 4 dance, if you are within the age requirements for each division and if time permits. Age eligibility regulations are based on the status of the amateur only. Gentlemen Standard Championships: you can only enter one age but you can enter two consecutive levels. RULES & REGULATIONS - continued
5. In the World Pro/Am 9 and 10, you must have the same teacher for all dances. Ex: You cannot do smooth with one teacher and rhythm with another. Also the student?s level of dance must be Full Gold or above and they must be 16 or over.
6. LEVEL OF DANCE in American and International Style - Pro/Am or Amateur Couples You may dance up to TWO levels. The levels must be in consecutive order, you can not skip a level. Example: Intermediate Bronze and Bronze.
7. WORLD PRO/AM THEATER ARTS is not a showdance category. You must have a minimum of 5 lifts in your routine.
8. No continuity style in Bronze.
9. JUNIOR INTERNATIONAL COUPLES: This pertains to competitors who will be competing Friday and Saturday in Battelle Hall. Couples must follow the N.D.C.A.rules for costumes. All multi-dance events are open competitions. The "under 21" pertains to ages 16-20. You can only enter in ONE age division. Exception is; Young Adult can dance 16-18(J6) and under 21 OR under 21 and Open Latin and Standard.
10. AMERICAN STYLE DRESS CODE Pro/Am and INTERNATIONAL STYLE DRESS CODE Pro/Am - costumes are permitted at any level.
11. In any category with fewer than three entries the organizer reserves the right to eliminate the age and sex divisions and merge competitors into one open division.
12. Solo exhibitions critique sheets and scores will be available to studio personnel at the registration desk.
13. Formations: maximum time limited to three (3) minutes for a single dance and four (4) minutes for a medley. Timing of routine shall begin and end with the accompaniment. Teams must consist of at least four (4) couples.
14. Maximum of TWO Solo Exhibitions per student will be accepted.
15. No Solo Exhibition is to exceed three (3) minutes. Music will be faded out after three (3) minutes.
16. Two teachers dancing with one student are entered as a regular exhibition.
17. Two amateurs dancing together can have two entries on Solo Exhibition plus the two in Pro/Am.
18. Drops are permitted in levels Gold and Advanced Pro/Am free style only. Drops are permitted in all levels of Solo Exhibitions.
19. Lifts are permitted in Pro/Am Theater Arts category and Pro/Am or Amateur Advance level Hustle only. RULES & REGULATIONS - continued
20. PROFESSIONAL THEATRICAL DANCE CHAMPIONSHIP - Due to time limits only six solos will be accepted. First come, first serve. Couples will be judged performing a solo routine of their own choice, not to exceed four minutes duration, including walk-on and walk-off music. Therefore, all competitors entering this event must come prepared with their own special music.
21. INTERNATIONAL STYLE NOVICE 2 DANCE AMATEUR EVENTS Standard Bronze, Silver, Gold - Waltz & Quick Step OR Foxtrot & Tango Latin Bronze, Silver - Rumba & Cha Cha OR Samba & Jive, Latin Gold - Samba & Jive OR Rumba, Cha Cha & PasoDoble * Bronze - Restricted to Bronze Syllabus * Silver - Restricted to Bronze & Silver Syllabus * Gold - Restricted to Bronze, Silver & Gold Syllabus Each couple will be allowed two consecutive levels in Standard and Latin as follows: * Novice-Bronze and Silver, or * Novice-Silver and Gold Dress Code: costumes are permitted at any level.
22. There will be no substituting of a student with another student during the event.
23. Cancellation/Refund Policy: Cancellation must be in writing and made prior to October 30, 2011 to receive a refund 30 days after the event. Cancellation made after October 30, 2011 will NOT receive a refund. Canceled entries taken at the event cannot be substituted by another entry and no refund will be made on such a cancellation. There are no refunds or exchanges on general admission tickets.
24. A panel of invigilators will be used for all restricted categories. These categories will be strictly supervised and competitors committing infraction will be disqualified.
25. Pre-Championship 3 Dance is open to Amateur dancers who have not placed in the top three of ANY recognized Championship where a semi-final was danced.
26. Pro/Am Senior 3 Dance-70 years old or over and World Pro/Am Senior 1 - 4 Dance-60 years old or over. If you are 70 or over you can enter in both, if time permits.
27. Pro/Am American Rising Star is open to students who have not placed in the final of the DanceSport Series Scholarships A, B or C at any previous Ohio Star Ball or won this division the previous year. Only the first 28 entries in each division and age will be accepted due to time restraints.
28. Professional Rising Star is open to Professionals who have not placed in the final round of the U.S. National Championships closed or open divisions. Any couple that has won this competition previously at this event is not eligible. RULES & REGULATIONS - continued
29. Professional competition is closed to North America. You must reside in North America for three months prior to this competition. Except the World Rhythm and Smooth which is open to the world.
30. No responsibility for loss or theft of articles left in changing rooms, ballroom, or hotel rooms can be accepted by the organizer or the N.D.C.A., neither can they be held liable for injury sustained by persons attending the OHIO STAR BALL. Everyone does so at his or her own risk.
31. All persons attending this event, whether as spectators or as Officials or as Competitors or guests of the Organizer, shall be bound by N.D.C.A. rules and by participating in the OHIO STAR BALL automatically become obliged to adhere to them.
32. Professionals competing in any capacity must be currently registered with the N.D.C.A. and supply the Organizers with an official registration number on our entry forms. All amateur couples that are dancing must be currently registered with N.D.C.A. and supply the Organizers with an official registration number on our entry forms. Registration Forms are available from www.ndca.org or: Eleanor Wiblin P. O. Box 22018 Provo, Utah 84602 (801) 422-8124
33. SHOW DANCE RULES INTERNATIONAL STANDARD AND LATIN, AMERICAN RHYTHM AND SMOOTH
A - Order of dancing - Every couple in final will dance a solo performance of one to five rhythms of the respective section, International Standard or Latin.
B - Time limit - The time limit will be up to one minute and forty-five seconds. The time begins when the music starts. If a couple exceeds the time limit, it will result in losing one placement.
C - Lifts - Two lifts are permitted during the solo performance. Each lift must not exceed fifteen seconds.
D - Props and dresses - No props shall be permitted during entrance, performance and exit. "Props" shall include such items of furniture and items that are not a part of your costume. Fans, capes and hats are permissible if not discarded. Choice of dress for the man and lady must be chosen to suit and complement the theme of the solo performance in either standard or latin style. Taking off clothes and discarding them during the performance is not permissible.
1. While on the competition premises, competitors shall conduct themselves in a civil sportsmanlike manner at all times.
2. It is the competitor?s responsibility to be in attendance in advance of the advertised time scheduled for the events he is entering.
3. Competitors entering an OHIO STAR BALL event shall accept as final the individual markings of the Judges and no appeal against them may be made, expect when it can be shown that the actual markings have been incorrectly interpreted.
4. No competitor shall harass or question a judge about his/her personal reasons for marking.
5. Any competitor who removes any of the master scrutineer sheets without the permission of the Organizer shall render himself liable to disciplinary action.
6. The Organizer of the OHIO STAR BALL reserves the right to reject the application of any competitor who has violated any of the above rules of conduct in any recognized N.D.C.A. event.
Attire as follows: Tuesday will be casual. Wednesday will be casual. Thursday will be casual. Thursday evening DanceSport Series Regional colors. Region 1 - Orange Region 2 - Blue Region 3 - Purple Region 4 - Yellow Region 5 - Green Region 6 - Red Region 7 - Silver Friday evening will be semi-formal. Saturday evening will be formal. Sunday will be casual.